General Information IconBenejúzar

Aerial view of Benejúzar

Benejúzar name of Arabic origin traces its origins to this period.

The rebellion mudéjar of 1264 was crushed by the Castilian army, with the help of the aragonese ones of the Infante Don Pedro and the king Don Jaime I of Aragon, they allowed to leave without effect the agreement of 1243, so that Alfonso X the Wise, had to take the necessary measures, to incorporate Orihuela to the Crown of Castile. And one of these measures, would be the confirmation, on July 15th of 1266, of his term and jurisdiction, as it had in the period Almohad: Orihuela, Abanilla, Albatera, Arrabal and Guardamar.

So, with more peace that discords, the Castilian king starts to repopulate the piece of land of Orihuela. Torres Fontes in its "Repartimiento de Orihuela", transcribes the text of the Codex referred to the town of Orihuela. The above mentioned author informs us that "Beneyucef" should have a part that constitutes a "Donadio", because in the third partition are taken six Tahullas to Peter Cornell, to be distributed between the inheritors of this "Quadrella. He places the "Quadrella" of Beneyucef to the left of the river Segura and writes: "there is no doubt as for its identity with the current Benejúzar, with a term more at the time more small".

The organization like core of population it is necessary to place it in the 14th century, when a few gentlemen of surname Martí, began to acquire properties in the locality, and they named themselves masters of Benejúzar.

During the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries there was in Benejúzar a parish under the advocation of St. Bartholome, which included what is now the town of San Bartolomé. The foundation of the new parish of Nuestra Señora del Rosario dates from 1615 (the books of baptism certificates older that are kept from this date).

Moriscos' place, their expulsion in 1609 was followed from a letter of 1611 in favour of Juan Rosell Roda Rocamora and Thomas, who contracted 32 neighbours with the same conditions that the Moriscos had. Rosell's house was the one that during more time had the Lords' title of Benejúzar and it is its shield which was accepted as Benejúzar's shield. In 1628 was separated from Orihuela.

During the year of 1648, the entire region was violently affected by a great epidemic of plague, which killed more than 63% of the population. This was one of the reasons, not the only one, of the loss of the Valencian language in the Bajo Segura when a significant geographical emptiness that was covered with the citizens' migrations of Murcia to the Vega Baja from the second half of the century XVII.

In 1829, an earthquake completely destroyed the village and was rebuilt in the area opposite of the Segura shortly after.

The history of this population suffered, together with the whole of Spain, the consequences of the Spanish Civil war (1936-1939) dividing its population in two opposing sides. Some of those confined in the jail of Alicante entrusted in arms of whom they were considering their only support because of their deep catholic roots, the mother of God in their dedication of Pilar. After the war, the survivors returned to Benejúzar introduced the worship to this dedication and today still there is celebrated the pilgrimage that in her honour, as gratefulness, those men promoted.